- Ibuprofen which belongs to the category NSAIDs is an inhibitor of the enzyme cyclooxygenase (COX) which is responsible for the production of prostaglandins.
- Prostaglandins are the chemicals which are released at the time of injury or abrasion of the tissues and causes inflammation and pain.
- Inhibition of COX leads to cessation in the synthesis of Prostaglandins. This leads to resolution of pain and inflammation.
- Ibuprofen takes 20 to 30 minutes to work if you take it by mouth.
- Ibuprofen is typically used for period pain or toothache.
- Some people find ibuprofen better than paracetamol for back pain.