- Generic aleve works by temporarily blocking the body's production of naturally occurring chemicals called prostaglandins
- Generic aleve belongs to a class of drugs known as Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs, (NSAIDs), which work at the site of pain.
- Naproxen is used to relieve pain from various conditions such as headaches, muscle aches, tendonitis, dental pain, and menstrual cramps.
- It also reduces pain, swelling, and joint stiffness caused by arthritis, bursitis, and gout attacks. This medication is known as a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). It works by blocking your body's production of certain natural substances that cause inflammation.
- If you are treating a chronic condition such as arthritis, ask your doctor about non-drug treatments and/or using other medications to treat your pain. See also Warning section.
- Prostaglandins play a direct role in pain.